4.17.2009

"Who Am I If I Am Not My Father's Daughter?"

We are all socialized to think a certain way that is pertinent to both society and our individual cultures. For some, it is to judge the outside world with the lens of white, Christian, middle class America. Others to be totally accepting of those around them. One of the biggest challenges for people to overcome is to forget about the boxes society makes and to just choose the path that is suitable to their beliefs. In the story "Who Am I If I'm Not my father's Daughter?", the author tells of her personal struggle with those social constructs and how even in her adult days, she struggles. The author uses anecdotes from her childhood and her adult life to create the space of her coming to terms with both her gender and cultural identity. The realization she has that she does not fit into the box her parents (with her father as the prime example) and the generations before them, created for her is an epiphany that many people go through. This article was especially interesting to me because of the ultimate message she puts out there. She lets the reader know exactly what her point of view is; no misconceptions can be made. The story she creates, and the experiences she bring sup of her culture and the culture shocks she endured is something that I can definitely relate to. I find that almost everyday I have some experience, whether it be the smallest thing on the radar, or completely life changing, that changes my view on the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment